- Baltimore County's companion animal & human shelter is at Eastern Technical High School but only applies in small scale emergencies. In large scale emergencies, pets cannot be accommodated. They also only take pets under 80 lbs
- make prior arrangements with a friend or relative outside your immediate area to shelter you and your pets in an emergency. If this is not possible, locate hotels or motels outside your area that will accommodate pets in emergencies. Vet hospitals and animal shelters may be an option but it is recommended to keep your pets with you if at all possible.
- have 2 weeks worth of food, water and pet medications as well as medical and vaccination documents in a waterproof cover.
- bring leashes, collars, crates to secure your pets and ID tags in case a pet gets lost
- for cats, bring a portable container with some litter
Have these things in a plastic storage container ready to go and replace expired items as needed and you will always be prepared in an emergency that involves evacuation.